Overweight.

29 Jul

I hate that word.  Yes, I am over the weight I’m carrying, thank you very much.  Thank you for putting a label on me!  I suppose it’s better than obese, a category I was classified as being under not so long ago.  But seriously, overweight?  I detest the word especially after how hard I’ve worked.

Yesterday we had health check ups at work.  I had my waist measured by the nurse and it was apparently 81cm.  81cm??  What tape measure are you using lady, as a couple of weeks ago at my last PT check-in I was 77cm!  And I haven’t put on any weight!  Granted, I’m a little bloated at the moment though, grrr… But in any case, I chose to ignore her.  She joted the evil number on my form and ticked the ‘overweight’ box.  Then she quipped, “The healthy range is a waist measurement of less than 80cm, so you’re almost there!”.  Mmm, thanks for that nursey.  I just smiled, took my form and hid the offensive number in a folder on my desk.

When I look at the healthy weight range for women of my height it says 57kg – 71kg.  So, if I’m really 77cm around the waist (shut it nursey, I am!) and weigh 78kg then what does that mean?  I’m kinda, sorta, semi-overweight?

Basically, I don’t think we can be defined by numbers or measurements.  I refuse to be defined by a number.  I know that I’m strong and fit and working my way towards an ideal weight range for ME, one that I have decided on, not one that has been decided for me.  And that’s all I need to know.   Rant over.

About these ads

6 Responses to “Overweight.”

1. Pamela July 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Don’t let numbers put you down Mandy, and rant as much as you want cos I agree…unnecessary labels are NOT ON!

• Amanda July 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Yeah! :-D I didn’t let it get me down but it frustrated me slightly!

2. lela July 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

I am new to blogging and looked up “rant”. Was glad to see your post. Agreed. Measurements and numbers are not what define us. More power to you for saying it out loud.
    Can’t tell you how many times I used to define myself in such a way and it was a waste of a lot of energy. Kudos to you and good luck on your journey!

• Amanda July 29, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Welcome to the blogging world lela! It’s balmy and warm with a chance of ranting. ;-)

Thanks so much for your comment! Hope to see you around. :-)

3. Chanel August 1, 2010 at 5:13 pm #

Wow, health check ups at work? Is that a regular thing? How rude! ;)

• Amanda August 1, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

Yes but it’s not like it’s compulsory! We have different health checkups every so often and healthy cooking demos etc. It’s really good!