Not Another Quinoa Recipe?!

16 Mar

Yes!  Another one!  The Quinoa Queen is back bitches with a delightfully warming and delicious healthy breakfast!

I got this idea from one of the lovely gals on the Vogue Forums.  Shout out to ma voguettes!  Holla!

Unfortunately, I didn’t take a picture.  It was a bit dark at 6.15am this morning.  Or as I like to call it, ‘Ugly O’clock’.

I had some leftover cooked quinoa in the fridge from a couple of nights ago (side note: quinoa, napolitana sauce, Cannellini beans, garlic and baby spinach equals a Charlie Sheen combination – winning!) (another side note: I need to stop referencing that douche bag in my posts) so I was glad to find a delicious new use for it!

coconutandquinoa.wordpress.com's Quinoa Oat Porridge

In a Bowl:

1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
A splash of vanilla extract
A dash of ground cinnamon

Combine and heat in microwave for 90 seconds.

Add to it:

A handful of berries (defrosted if frozen)

A tablespoon of LSA
A splash of rice milk (or the milk of your choice)

A teaspoon of agave nectar or honey

Combine and your breakfast is served! Dig in!

Next time Imma use banana instead of berries.  Squee!

I know this is going to be my new go-to winter-warmer breakfast.  What’s your favourite healthy hot breakfast?

27 Responses to “Not Another Quinoa Recipe?!”

1. Petra March 16, 2011 at 9:42 am #

Yum! This looks great. I used to always eat porridge for breakfast but now that I cannot eat oats anymore I may have to try this.

2. coops March 16, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Amazing. I am going to give the banana version a try tomorrow morning …
    Agree on the Charlie Sheen idea though… NO more. If we ignore him, he’ll go away.

• Amanda March 16, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Yay!

… and sorry. I’ll stop. I promise.

Haha!

3. Alex March 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Ok i have bought the quinoa, so im going to search you site for yummy dinner ideas!

also on the charlie sheen comments. i just cant help saying WINNING. its just so much fun!!

• Amanda March 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

It’s about time! ;-)

Winning! He’s such a douche. Haha

4. Jade March 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

OK this makes me want to get on the quinoa train, I have some in the cupboard but I’m scared of cooking it – fear of the unknown lol

• Amanda March 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Cook it! Cook it ASAP!

5. Chanel March 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

Imma make this soon! Tomorrow even!

My favourite hot breakfast is an omelette. Yum yum.

• Amanda March 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

Hope you enjoy it!

Yum. I love omelettes too.

6. Tina March 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

You crack me up :D

I am also scared of cooking the unknown. I’m not about to admit how long I’ve had a box of Quinoa in my pantry. Unopened. Unused. Sigh.

• Amanda March 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

What is wrong with you girls?! I get so excited when I purchase a new food item I have to have it then and there! Like when I bought seaweed snacks the other day I opened them up and started eating them when I left the supermarket! Haha! ;-)

7. Em March 17, 2011 at 5:13 am #

ooh that was me on vogue! :D I’m still addicted to this for breakfas. I’m just cooking my quinoa for the next few days breaky as I type! glad you like it!

I tried to have quinoa with a tuna bake instead of pasta last night, was the biggest fail ever, looked like a steaming pile of vom! tasted ok though ha.

I love your blog, it’s such a good read! :D x

• Amanda March 17, 2011 at 7:05 am #

Hey Em! Thanks for this idea! So much easier than making it the other way I was making it. Had it with banana this morning and it was DELICIOUS! Thoroughly enjoyed it. :-)

Haha yeah that sounds like a fail. Lucky it tasted okay! ;-)

8. Marisa's Low Carb Kitchen Talk March 19, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Yum that looks good.

• Clair Griffiths April 13, 2011 at 12:21 am #

If I made this in advance – how long do you think I could store it in the fridge for?

• Amanda April 13, 2011 at 10:12 am #

I store mine in an air tight container and it lasts for about 4 – 5 days. :)

9. Clair Griffiths April 13, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Thanks Amanda – I’ll give it a go.

10. Ali @ http://alliejwood.blogspot.com August 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

yum!! what the average calorie count for a serving of this??

• Amanda August 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

About 300ish Ali!

11. Jodes July 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I know this is super older but I am totally going to be trying this for the next 2 weeks.
    I’ve been getting meals delivered and these 2 weeks I got a deal without breaky – I usually have breaky when In at work so I wanted something that I can make while in here.
    I’ll cook up a batch of Quinoa and then nuke it up when I get into work! Looks yum!
    I had it once at a cafe – the prorridhe was super yummy but no doubt full of sugar etc. Hope it’s works!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Just Call Me The Plateau Breaker! « Me Vs. The Bulge - March 29, 2011

[...] breakfast I have been having my quinoa porridge with banana (but I’m thinking of taking the banana out and having it when I get to work as I am HUN-GRY [...]

2. Agape Organic Restaurant, Botany | Cats – Love – Cooking - April 14, 2011

[...] where better to celebrate this year of success with the Quinoa Queens Amanda & Nat, but at Agape Organic Restaurant! Agape is an Ancient Greek word which [...]

3. A recipe for gluten free quinoa porridge - May 11, 2011

[...] quinoa on the stove). I was therefore very excited when I came across Amanda’s (MeVsTheBulge) blog post with a work friendly way to make quinoa porridge. You still have to pre-cook the quinoa on the [...]

4. Quinoa Porridge with Mixed Berries - Gluten Free Recipe | Gluten Free Works - January 10, 2012

[...] quinoa on the stove). I was therefore very excited when I came across Amanda’s (MeVsTheBulge) blog post with a work friendly way to make quinoa porridge. You still have to pre-cook the quinoa on the [...]