My Wedding Dress

10 Sep

As I got out of the shower today and was searching for something to wear, I spied my wedding dress hanging in my wardrobe, untouched since the day I wore it when I married the man I love nearly 4 years ago.

I’m not much of a “wedding person”. I didn’t care too much for minor details, all I wanted was a big party with our closest friends and relatives – a good food, drinks flowing and raucous dancing kind of affair. And that’s what I got and I loved every minute of it.

So being the non-wedding person that I am I clearly wasn’t too fussed with what I was going to wear on the day. I knew 3 things – it had to be under $1k as I’m a terrible tight arse, it had to be flowy to hide my chubby tummy and thighs and it had to be fairly understated and simple.

About 4 weeks away from the wedding date I walked into a dress store (yep, 4 weeks and it wasn’t even a bridal store) that sold all these beautiful silk dresses, tried on 3 dresses and settled on my dress.

20110910-022822.jpg

$700 later, thank you very much, I was pretty impressed with myself. I loved my dress and on the day I felt beautiful in it (until I saw the wedding photos that is!).

So, there it was, hanging there in my closet and I couldn’t help but wonder how it would look now. The only way to find out was to try it on!

20110910-022047.jpg

20110910-022125.jpg

20110910-022147.jpg

It was hanging off my frame! I remember on the day I had to suck everything in to zip it up and my boobs were spilling gloriously out of the top (ah boobs, how I miss thee).

I could always get it taken in and it would look quite nice:

20110910-022206.jpg

I guess I regret not knowing what I know now about weight loss… I regret not fully committing myself to weight loss prior to the wedding.

But at the same time I don’t think that would have changed the day that I had. I remember not feeling 100% satisfied with my weight but I allowed myself to let those feelings go for the day and just enjoy the moment. And that’s all that mattered.

To the married gals – were you happy with your size on your wedding day? Did you place pressure on yourself to get to a certain size for “the big day”? How do you feel now when you look back on your wedding photos?

23 Responses to “My Wedding Dress”

1. Katie Hoenig September 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Isn’t it truly amazing what we’re capable of when we understand and WANT it. I have very similar pictures to this too. My difference is that I had lost about 20 kilo’s for my wedding and thought I loked fabulous then. It’s all a matter of perspective. You are looking amazing and for the record, I sometimes think we don’t appreciate how far we’ve truly come, unti we look back on moments, just like this.

Love your blog!

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Thank you Katie and I agree with what you said about appreciating how far we have come! :)

2. Shelley (@therealshellet) September 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

I was the opposite of you, I had lost weight, and while I wasn’t at my goal weight I look back now and wish I was that size again!

I remember thinking on the day that I wish I was thinner, blah blah blah and while I felt beautiful that was always in the back of my mind. Hopefully I feel different this time when I get back down to that weight!

Your dress is beautiful, I never would have picked that you didn’t get that from a bridal store either !

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:16 am #

Thank you Shelley! :) I can totally understand what you mean too!

3. Olivia September 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

You looked absolutely stunning on your wedding day!!!! However it must be an amazing feeling to pop on the dress and have it hanging off you! Your amazing!!

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:16 am #

Haha yes, it was a real shock more than anything! I just can’t believe the size I used to be! Crazy!

4. CB September 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

Hey Amanda,

I know exactly what you mean :) I toned up a bit (comparatively please bear in mind!!) and lost some weight and look at my wedding pictures now thinking look at the size of my arms, YUK!! But at the time, I was so happy and really it didn’t even cross my mind?
    And definitely get it taken in, it’s a beautiful dress and I always feel a bit sad that such special dresses just get hung in the cupboard. I’m always talking about doing ‘Wedding dress wine night’ with some girlfriends. And happy days there’s no problem about fitting into it!

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Hahaha that’s a cool idea! I really should get it taken in but yeah, where on earth would I wear it?? LOL

5. Kitty September 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

I love this post! I loved my wedding dress… until I had to wear it. It was strapless and I’ve never worn anything strapless in my life. I spent the whole day hitching and adjusting my boobs, which were suddenly non existent on account of bridezilla bikram yoga pre wedding obsession.

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:17 am #

LOL! That’s alwats the case with those pesky strapless dresses!

6. Alex September 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

it looks like a circus tent on you now! still so beautiful, you should get it taken in!

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Haha maaaaaybeeeee. :)

7. Nataliah September 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

I was about the size I am now at my wedding almost a year ago (wow nearly my anniversary). I was happy with the way I looked as it was the best I’d looked in years, about 20kgs down from my heaviest. I could have crash-dieted in the last few weeks before my wedding, but I didn’t. I kept going the way I’d been progressing for the previous two years and I’m glad I did. I felt happy and healthy on my wedding day. I also had this weird feeling that I didn’t want to ‘look my best ever’ on my wedding day. What I mean is that I hope I keep looking better and better, I like that I can look forward to improvements in my health and appearance for years to come. I never wanted to look back at my wedding photos with regret because I wasn’t happy with my appearance, but equally I never wanted to look back and think ‘I’m never going to look that good again’.

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Wow, yes! Nearly a year! I love your comment, that is SUCH a good way of looking at it! :D

8. Clueless September 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

Gosh – you look so beautiful and radiant at your wedding! It must be so satisfying to put that dress on and see exactly what you have done. Congratulations!!!

I was really skinny at my wedding. I’d always been thin and in the stress of the lead up dropped weight like crazy. I’ve put on a good 10 kgs since then (1.5 years) and I’m proud of myself – just gotta get me into the gym and get some strength and muscle into me!!

It is weird looking back at wedding pictures knowing that you don’t want to stay looking the same way – like Natalaih said. I think that was the first time in my life when I realised that too skinny sucks and I didn’t want to be that anymore.

I think this is why I like your blog so much because you want strong and healthy – and I do too.

Thanks for being a great source of motivation and inspiration.

• Amanda September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Oh I like the way you think! ;) Strong and healthy is where it is at! :D

9. Cleegan September 14, 2011 at 9:58 am #

You looked beautiful on your wedding day, and I also admire your frugalness, haha…I couldn’t justify paying thousands of dollars for a dress I am going to wear on one day! You have also come so far, and are so inspiring, I hope to use what I have learnt from your blog to get me healthy and strong so that should a delusional guy one day decide he wants to marry me I can feel and look amazing on my wedding day too!
    As for the dress…you could get it taken in and shortened, to a more cocktail dress length, then you would get more wear out of it than as a full length white dress! xx

• Amanda September 16, 2011 at 11:09 am #

Thank you Clare! Haha and I am sure you will find an amazing guy one day! :D

10. Underthesea September 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Definitely get the dress taken in – it looks gorgeous (as do you!)

I got the lightbulb moment before the wedding, and lost 23kgs in the 8-9 months prior. I’d tried so many times before, with out success….this time I just had the right mindset, dedication and
    combination of food/exercise to make it work! The lifestyle has stuck, and I’ve become even fitter since then….my dress still fits, although it’s a bit loose!

You look radiant in your wedding pic, and beautiful and happy – I think that’s all that matters!

• Amanda September 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

That’s an awesome story underthesea! Well done! And thank you very much. x :)

11. wtmontana September 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

This is fantastic, you look amazing! I really want to fit into my mum’s size 10 wedding dress so it can be altered a bit to be my “something old” dress, and it’s absolutely something I’m aiming for (considering I’m not yet engaged, but in a committed long term relationship) with my weight loss goals. I definitely recommend getting that dress taken in to fit you now – it would be a fantastic way to reaffirm your vows if you were looking at celebrating that on one of your anniversaries. Love your posts by the way, so inspiring!

• Amanda September 23, 2011 at 11:46 am #

You can definitely do it! And thank you very much. :)

12. Jenny April 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Amanda,

I got married in November 2011 and I was the heaviest I’d ever been. I still managed to look ok on the day but it hurts me a lot that I didn’t feel my best on the day BUT I married the love of my life so I had a fabulous day despite my feelings about my appearance.

I am working on my health and fitness this year and I should be at goal or not too far from it by my 1 year anniversary this November and my hubby and I are going to get pictures taken on our anniversary. I plan on wearing a beautiful white summer dress and him a suit and then have dinner at the restaurant where he proposed. I’m so excited about it.

I just want to say thank you for being honest about how you felt when you saw your Wedding photos because I felt the same (although I must say you looked stunning on your Wedding Day) gives me hope that I’ll be able to let my Wedding Day appearance regret go….in all honesty the Weddnig is just 1 day anyway and it’s the rest of our lives that truly count! I’ll be stoked to one day say my Wedding Dress doesn’t fit because it’s too big (not too small :))

You could always take your dress in and wear in on anniversary with your hubby?

Thanks for your blog.