Your Questions Answered, Part 2

31 Jan

I’ve just launched myself into comp prep.  This is day two.   My friend asked me earlier, “How is the chickening coming along?” to which I responded, “So far, so chicken.  I mean so far, so good”.   Mmm chicken, vegetables and rice.  My new best mates.  They will be with me throughout this whole journey and they are with me right now as I type this post.

I wonder when I am going to get sick of eating this?  One week?  Two?  Will I be able to switch off that part of my brain entirely and just man up and eat it every day without complaint?  Time will tell, my pretties, time will tell.

So, onto the next instalment of Your Questions Answered.  I am still so surprised at all the questions that cropped up!  You know, it is so incredibly humbling to have so many people behind me throughout all of this.  The continued support I get from my online followers is nothing short of astounding.  I feel as if I know many of you personally now and have formed great bonds and friendships!  You guys rock!  And I won’t let you down.  :)

12 weeks out from first comp!

@monstar1984 asked:

Any insights you can share on the positives will help my motivation!

The positives I have found from losing weight are endless.  It’s really not just about physicality – sure I get a kick out of looking better, wearing nice clothes, feeling more comfortable in a bikini and so on and so forth but it’s the absolute mental clarity that I have experienced that has been the biggest positive for me.

I think once you push yourself to succeed in anything in life you get an enormous sense of self-worth.  You begin to realise that you are actually worth something, that you can do anything you put your mind to.   And from that you gain a lot of respect for yourself and your inner-strength begins to shine through.

I now feel more positive, more focused and more at peace with myself.  There’s no more internal battles in my mind about feeling uncomfortable in my own skin.  Yes, I do have my moments with self-doubt but they are not hanging over me every waking moment of the day like they used to.

It has taken the better part of 2 years for me to get this far, but it has been worth it.  I am beginning to love who I am, which is not something that I have ever felt before.  It’s  a good thing.  :)

@IndianaHolley asked:

Would love to know whether you struggled with PMT/hormones during this time and how you over came that?

I think pretty much the whole time I was losing weight I struggled with hormones due to my PCOS.  The weight loss was PAINFULLY slow and it was hard to envision the slender light at the end of the fat tunnel!

There was not much I could really do about that.  I could take the pills the Dr gave me that made me feel nauseous, I could whinge, cry and complain and insist that I’ll be fat forever OR I could basically put some belief into myself and tell myself that I can and WILL do it.  Which option do you think I went with?  ;)

It was hard work (still is) and at times I felt like I had to work harder than anyone else to lose weight.  But I never gave up.  I visualised the end result – the healthier, fitter, smaller version of me and I never lost sight of that image.  It’s quite easy to re-route your thinking once you get in the habit of it!  Even if you don’t believe yourself at first, you eventually will.   The mind is a very tricky and powerful thing!

@jadegrrrl asked:

Was there a turning point diet wise when you started eating clean or was it gradual?  Did you have slip ups?  I’m struggling.

If you go back over my blog and through the recipes and meal plans, you can see my eating habits gradually change to be cleaner and cleaner.  I first started with just counting calories and not paying too much mind to being “clean” exactly, but rather just trying to be as healthy as possible.  Every time I would plateau, maybe every 4 – 6 weeks, I would change up the diet and make adjustments.

Eventually I found the most success with just being as clean as possible – no additives, no sugar, no artificial flavours or colourings – just fresh, whole, natural produce.  I actually LOVE eating this way.  It tastes so much better!

Yep, I’ve had slip ups – definitely!  I’m no saint, I guarantee you!  There have been times where I have found myself shovelling junk food into my face with careless abandon and I would fall into a deep depression after that, scolding myself for letting my resolve drop for those few moments.  But afterwards I would always simply dust myself off and start again.

Those moments then became few and far between as I noticed more and more changes within myself and the respect for myself grew.  I didn’t want to disappoint myself!  If I failed, I only had myself to blame.  And there was no way I was going to fail!  That’s how I feel to this day, especially as comp time draws near – failure is not an option!

I’m not saying that people need to eat like a body builder to get results.  But I do advocate eating a healthy, clean and balanced diet at least 90% of the time.  Don’t deprive yourself of a treat now and then!  You really appreciate them when you don’t have them so often.  Keep up your exercise, fuel your body with nutritious and whole foods, switch it up when results lag and just give it TIME.  It WILL happen if you work hard at it.

As they always say, “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it”.

15 Responses to “Your Questions Answered, Part 2”

1. @monstar1984 January 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Hey Amanda,

Thanks for answering my question! I struggle to picture what a ‘smaller’ me will look like so I need to focus on the other benefits that come along with weightloss. Everything you said I want for myself so I’ll write these down and stick them up somewhere to remind me. Thanks for the motivation, you are a true inspiration of mine.

Good luck with comp prep – you’ll smash it :)

xx

2. Jade January 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Thanks so much Amanda for answering all our questions, it’s great to see what other people want to know as well as your answers. As always you’re a constant source of inspiration :D Killing it!!! :D

• Amanda February 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks Jade and you are so welcome! :D

3. Meg January 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

You are AWESOME and so inspirational. I just bookmarked your blog – it’s so hard to find real, true and just genuine whole-hearted bloggers who have posts that are all great to read.

Love!

• Amanda February 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks Meg! That means so much to me! :) x

4. Indiana Holley January 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

You’re a gem! Thanks for answering my question Amanda. I think what I should take away from your response is that there is no quick fix option when it comes to hormones, I’m just going to have to learn to live with it and come up with ways to help me cope as the doctors just seem to want to wack me on drugs. I’ve had this issue since I was 13 where I will have an abundance of energy one minute and then crash with exhaustion as soon as pmt hit.

You are an inspiration to us all! Wish I lived in Sydney just so that I could have you as my PT once you are qualified. Don’t suppose you’d consider online training:)?

Keep up the great work and can’t wait to see/hear all about your success at the comps:).

• Amanda February 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

No worries Indiana! :D Yeah, there really is no quick fix solution – just a good diet and plenty of exercise. :)

I think I will consider online training so stay tuned! :D

• Indiana Holley February 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Great news, I can’t wait:). How was your first week of chicken, brown rice and veggies?

• Amanda February 13, 2012 at 9:58 am #

I’ll do an update soon! Been crazy busy at the moment! :)

5. juganaut's (@juganauts) January 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

You’re a massive inspiration to me, as well as a huge validation to my journey. I may be a year or so behind you, but you’re paving the way for me and to hear about what’s ahead is a huge motivator.

You look fantastic and I’m cheering for you all the way!

• Amanda February 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Aw thanks Juganauts! That’s incredibly sweet. :) You can definitely do this! I got ya back! :)

6. danielle January 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I’ve only just come across your blog this week Amanda and I love it. I am amazed at your journey, after reading your early entries and backstory I feel like we are almost the same person =P

You deserve all the praise for your hard work and you now have another avid follower! all the best for your competition, im sure you will rock it!

• Amanda February 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Hey Danielle! Thank you so much! I am constantly surprised at how many people say my story resonated with them! You are not alone and you can achieve anything you set your mind to! :)

7. Mike February 19, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Good job! i can see your abs almost. Man i have to say motivation is the hardest thing for me right now. I am trying to overcome it and try my best like you are doing.

I have a site about weight loss i’d like to share with you all and hope to inspire and motivate people myself.

Thanks for the information.

Check my site out! click here

8. NuYu Total Health June 20, 2012 at 5:47 am #

This Blog is such an inspiration to those people who really wants to loose weight. To be honest i am being challenge coz of my lifestyle. I’m a chef and being close to food will be a big challenge. But thank you so much for sharing your whole journey to fitness..